Quality Plus offers patent registration service in Thailand to assure your protection of original innnovative and creative product. A patent protection gives you the right to stop others from copying, manufacturing, selling or importing your invention without your permission. Customer applying the one time Thai Patent in Thailand can be used in other countires under membership of the Patent Cooperation of Treaty.
There are three types of patents are protected under the Thai Patent Act B.E. 2522 (1979) such as:
- Invention patent: one that creates a new product or process or improves on a known product or process, involves an inventive step, and is capable of industrial application.
- Design patent: any form or composition of lines and/or colors which give a product a special appearance and can serve as a pattern for an industrial product or handicraft.
- Petty patent: for an invention that is new and capable of industrial application, but does not involve an inventive step, and protected for shorter time period.
Invention and design patents protection period is for 20 years and petty patents protection period is for 10 years.
Quality Plus team will assist our customer in every processes and procedures invovled in the acquiring the patent of your product.Following list are the services included in the prosecuting the patent application:
- Conduct searches to cross check wheather your innovation already exist in the market
- Draft patent applications
- File and prosecute patent applications
- File and prosecute patents under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT)
- Manage the national phase of PCT applications
- Respond to office actions and amend patent claims
- Translate patent applications
- Annuity payments
- Recordal services
- Patent mapping
- Competitor watch
Patents granted by foreign countries are not protected by Thai law, only when the filer is approved a priority claim where the first foreign filing date can be used as the Thai filing date. A patent can be filed solely in Thailand and also multiple countries under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT).
For Patent Cooperation Treaty, a single application in one language can be filed for patent protection in multiple PCT member states. The applicant can choose to file the patent cooperation treaty in Thailand and any number of the 145 PCT member states using a single international application. The patents are still valid by the patent offices in the those 145 PCT member countries during the national phase. In Thailand, for a national phase PCT application, the applicant must enter the national phase within 30 months after the initial patent application is filed.
The Department of Intellectual Property will undertake a preliminary examination for the filed Thai patent application before publishing the application, but may require further details and clarification. It usually takes one year for the application to proceed to publishing, and during the 90-day publication period, anyone can file an opposition. A patent is then granted after a prior arts search and a positive substantive examination and all fees are paid. Depending on the complexity of the invention, the substantial examination can take 3-5 years. For a patent application with no foreign prior claim, patent approval can take up to 10 years. For a patent application using a foreign prior claim, the time frame for approval can be 1-2 years.